The College of New Jersey

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Which graduate-level programs are offered at TCNJ?

  • Explore Graduate Programs, including master-level degree programs, graduate certificates, and non-degree certification programs.
  • Graduate Bulletin includes program-specific information (admission, completion, and course requirements).

When are the deadlines to apply for graduate admission at TCNJ?

If you miss the final deadlines to apply for matriculation, you may still apply as a non-matriculant for the fall or spring terms*, or as a visiting student for the summer term. If you miss the non-matriculation deadlines, you will have to wait and apply for the next admission term. A student’s status as a non-matriculated or visiting student does not guarantee admission upon applying for matriculation.

What is the cost of tuition? Are there other fees?

What documents are required for matriculation into a degree or non-degree program?

What if my undergraduate or graduate degree is from another country?

Students who have attended college or university outside of the United States must have their transcripts officially translated and evaluated on a course-by-course basis by an accredited agency. See NACES listing of accredited agencies.

International students planning to study in New Jersey must also provide the documentation necessary for the completion of an I-20 form. A handbook with forms and information is available at International Student Services. Your completed handbook, along with all supporting documents, must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Please note that international applicants must apply early as additional time is needed to complete the visa process.

These items must be supplied with the application and include:

  • Bank affidavit showing the ability to pay for the first year of study and living expenses as well as additional costs for dependents
  • Copy of passport information

Questions concerning these documents and the I-20 process should be directed to the Arlotto Family Center for Global Engagement, at

When and where do I take the GRE?

  • Current GRE waiver policy
  • The standardized test, if required, must be completed in time for scores to be provided to TCNJ by the established application deadline date. GRE information may be obtained from ETS at or 1-800-GRE-CALL.

Who is considered a non-matriculated student?

Qualified applicants who wish to pursue graduate studies for professional development or personal growth may apply for admission under the status of non-matriculation. See details.

Who is considered a visiting student?

A graduate visiting student is a Non-Matriculant who takes summer courses at our Ewing, NJ campus. A graduate visiting student may take a maximum of 3 courses, but as with fall/spring non-matriculation, only a maximum of two courses (6 credits) can be used toward a degree or certificate program if you apply and become accepted for matriculation.

A global visiting student is a Non-Matriculant who takes summer or academic year courses at one of our global sites. A global visiting student may take a maximum of 3 courses which can be used toward a degree or certificate program if you apply and become accepted for matriculation.

Students wishing to take summer courses in Ewing should contact the Office of Summer Programs or 609-771-2369.

Students wishing to take courses at one of our global sites should contact The Office of Off-Site Graduate Programs at Global students are encouraged to apply for matriculation as there is no guarantee that courses taken as visiting students will count toward a degree.

When will I find out if I have been accepted?

All students will receive notification of the admission decision via email approximately two weeks after the submission of a completed application. Only applications that are fully complete will be sent to program admission committees for consideration.

How do I apply for a Graduate Assistantship, and when will I know if I receive one?

The Graduate Assistantship application becomes available online in January of each year. The submission of the application along with the resume is due by April 15th of each year. Completed applications are filed with the Office of Graduate Studies and are reviewed as needed by faculty and staff from various campus departments and programs prior to the start of each semester. Supervisors from these departments contact candidates directly to arrange interviews. A minimum of a 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA is required. Positions are limited and not all those who apply will be hired. See details for graduate assistantships.

How do I transfer credits from other institutions?

A maximum of twelve graduate credits may be accepted pending departmental approval. Individual graduate programs may have lower transfer limits due to accreditation or licensing requirements. Transfer courses must apply to the student’s current program of study, and courses must apply to the student’s current program of study and have been completed at an institutionally accredited graduate institution within the last six years with a grade of B or higher. The Course Authorization Form is available at, and completed forms should be submitted to Records and Registration in Green Hall 112.

When are the course registration dates? How do I know what courses are offered in a given semester?

Course registration periods are posted on the Records and Registration website. Students should consult with their advisers to confirm course offerings. Graduate course offerings are available online through PAWS.

What if I need to take a leave of absence, withdraw, or defer my acceptance?

Withdraw and Leave of Absence

A student who wishes to leave the College and withdraw from all courses must complete an Intent to Withdraw form before the last four sessions of the course. Students who neglect to follow this procedure will receive a failing grade for any course they cease to attend. Students who withdraw from the College before the semester’s midpoint will be given a grade of WD in all courses. Withdrawal after that will result in the instructors’ assigning the grade of WP (which does not affect a student’s GPA), or WF (which is calculated as an F in a student’s GPA). A student may not withdraw from the College in the last three weeks of a semester.

The College Withdraw form is available online at Student-withdrawal-process. Eligibility for refunds will be determined by the date on which the completed Intent to Withdraw form is received. The amount of the refund is based on the date of withdrawal. Dates for the end of each semester’s withdrawal period are listed on the Office of Records and Registration website.

It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw officially from the College. Failure to withdraw formally may result in failing grades, dismissal, and additional financial obligations.


Matriculated students planning to defer after acceptance can do so for up to one academic year from the term of admission and must submit a request in writing to the Office of Graduate Studies via e-mail at Non-matriculants cannot defer their application but must reapply to the desired term.

What if my name or address changes?

Address and name changes are not automatically updated when applying to graduate school. If your name or address changes after the submission of your application:

Address Change – You may update your address online through PAWS. Please note that this will not change or update your residency status if you are moving into or out of state or country; you must complete the Residence Analysis Form with the Office of Records and Registration.

Name Change – You may print and complete the Change of Name form online. You must attach a photocopy of a new Social Security card, marriage license, or other legal documents to the notarized document. You may present this information in person, by fax, or by mail to the Office of Records and Registration, Green Hall 112. The photocopy of the document will not be returned.

Do you offer graduate housing?

How do I know whether I want to apply to an MEd or a MAT degree program?

Generally speaking, the MEd is an advanced degree for already certified teachers. The MAT degree is the correct choice for students seeking an initial teaching certification. The exception is the MEd in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL), which leads to an initial teacher certification when the certificate program is completed before the MEd.

If accepted, is there an enrollment deposit?

Matriculated students (waived for RTC MEd and global students) will be required to submit a $100.00 enrollment deposit (may vary by program) upon acceptance to secure their seat. This enrollment deposit is non-refundable but will be entered as a credit toward the student’s tuition. Payment should be made online through the URL provided in the acceptance letter. A check or money order made payable to The College of New Jersey may be included with the acceptance form if you choose not to pay online. (Please print the applicant’s name on the front of the check or money order.) Do not send cash.

View FAQ for Graduate Studies (PDF)

Take the next step

Apply Costs/Aid Request Info